Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wading In

I'm not altogether clear on the why of it yet, but as Advent Advent gives way to Advent, I find myself full of a pleasant, quiet anticipation.  Not a manic, desperate anxiety that has often hovered around the edges of the season, but an easy, here-we-go gladness.

I think partly it's my Box O' Advent.  Tomorrow morning, the kids will wake up and the box will be in the middle of the dining room table. We'll open the first envelope together and read that this morning we hang up Grandma's Advent calendar. In doing this, we have of course, The First: that first action that launches us in to the Adventing. However, we are also setting the tone, establishing the Hope and remembering the point.  We will honour Grandma J. and we will do something we've done before and we will instill tradition and family and anticipation. And some of this we will do in faith.  I will believe that even if the Good is small and dwarfed by the Not-So-Good in my heart, that nonetheless, the Good is what will live.  In me, and in my small people.

And every day there will be one small task to be done together that hopefully reminds me every day that that is True. Good lives.

This becomes a quiet rest because this year there is no having to find a Quiet Time, or Retreat, or Do Something Meaningful to stop hating it all. There is just having to open the envelope in the morning and do that One Small Thing that hints at the Heavens and reminds us Who we're waiting for, this month and always.

I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

gina said...

I do indeed remember our Thanksgiving drives...oh the hours of 20 questions...and discovering that country music can, indeed, be tolerated (especially when there are no other stations in central PA).

I look forward to creating such traditions. I've been thinking about doing the Advent thing, but Camden is still so young...and I don't know what works best. What is the "Box O' Advent"?

ACJ said...

So I won't repeat my whole sermon about the idea of "what works", but the summary is, What Works in parenting is whatever leaves you the parent feeling most peaceful and at rest... one day I'll blog about it, but Lord, I can go on and on and on.

Sorry about that tangent.

So the Box O' Advent is this: http://kiddley.com/2006/11/22/fill-your-advent-with-activities/ via frequent commenter N"mamabear"vK. I bought a $3 box at Michaels and a some christmas cards and envelopes for $8. Then I made a list of 24 things that we could do (truth: things that *I* could do) and wrote one on each card. They range from today's ("Put up Grandma's Advent Calendar") to baking cookies to having a Christmas music dance party to cutting out snowflakes to put on the window. I can forward the list if you're interested (NvK: waiting for yours please!)

NvK wisely reminded me to add things to the list that have to be done anyway. This wisdom of this is that a) the kids help get things done ("wrap a gift for someone you love") and b) what were obligations and chores (see above re: Grandma's calendar) become my heart preparing for Jesus coming. This is subtle, but breath-giving for me.

My kids are little (3 & 2) so the list is simple and light on the theology. A friend is adding things like "dress up like shepherds and rejoice!" to make the story more physical and entery-into-y. I'm not that person and wouldn't be able to pull it off without scarring my kids. That said, as they get older, I would like to think we would swap out some of this year's tasks for more age appropriate moments that spark conversations and thinking about their own Jesus Story.

At one-and-a-half, we had the calendar up (hang a decoration on the quilted tree each day) and Talia was totally into it. Finding a way to set yourself up to feel good about Christmas with your sweet Camden is the only advice I've got Gina. She'll just follow your lead.

gina said...

I am heading to Walmart tonight (stupid small town America...the only store in sight - ugh!). We're a few days behind, but we will be "Box O'Advent"-ing along with you crazy Canucks.

Thanks!