Monday, November 01, 2010

I'm Passionate!

This one's for Brooke. And maybe for anyone else who can relate, but for sure Brooke.

One thing that's true about me is that I don't have any passions. Well, none of the Find Your True Self kind. It's true, I am a bit easily excited by a hockey game and frankly, just about any sporting event. I have been known to really enjoy a good book, and knit consistently for a month or two.  But there is no activity, no endeavour that holds my heart, that gives me life, that makes me want to get up in the morning, that inspires me to give up The Good Wife on Tuesday nights in its pursuit.  The idea of 'finding your passion' has always amused me - I don't think I actually have the Passion Gene. 

However, it is also true that I didn't use to think I had endorphins.  Then one day, someone told me that the rush you get public speaking, when you're making your best point and you know it's Good and True and Right - that feeling is an endorphin.  I know. I was shocked too.  But also gratified because I know for certain I've never had that experience doing any kind of excercise but have for shizzle had it at the front of a church or leading a small group or at public meetings. It turns out, I gots me some endorphins!

Knowing that I had been wrong about endorphins then, I opened myself to the possibility of one day discovering a passion, but wasn't holding my breath.

This morning, I got to begin the Alison's Birthday Celebration Extravaganza with a coffee and lunch date with one third of SCS, Laura. Halfway through lunch, while going on and on about myself as I'm wont to do (it's Laura's fault - she's always acting so interested!), I found myself answering a question about what I like to speak about with this: "Well, you know, it tends to be about whatever it is I'm figuring out. I mean, I guess I'm just passionate about me."

Oh shit. I'm still laughing.  There was a moment of silence and we both laughed and Laura realized she too is Passionate About Me (in her case, her).  And it was so great because it's so wonderfully true - Me is a subject I'll wake up to think about, investigate, do something for.  Me is a reason to get up in the morning and get up and go.  I will even give up The Good Wife for Me.

Finally, a passion.  Friends, this could change everything.

2 comments:

Nadia said...

And...I just fell off my chair laughing...

You. are. great.

brooke said...

How did I miss this post? Most importantly how did I miss telling you that your passion was you. It's so clear now that you write it down like that. Of course! I've seen you get that look in your eye when you're on to a new self discovery. Its a good thing that your discoveries happen to be helpful to me as well as you (and Im guessing to many others)or else I may not find you so good to talk with - just weird.