Tuesday, November 16, 2010

People are Morons

So this is no surprise. I, of all people, should not be surprised that people are morons. In fact, if nothing else, it can be said that *I* am a moron. Or at least, have been a moron.  And likely will be again. But right this minute, someone else is being a moron.

And I will say this: anyone who shares this person's world view is also a moron.

The world view is not exclusively hers. In fact, I think there may be a whole movie devoted to it; as I understand it, "The Secret" is actually just her world view in film. Namely being The Law of Attraction.  You know, how you get what you focus on? As she put it, if you focus on the bad things, you'll get more bad things and if you focus on life's blessings, you'll get more blessings.

This is crap theology. Or just crap world view if you don't consider this part of your religious-ness.

It is particularly galling when people share this "law" with people who's current lifeload looks a lot like a bag of shit.  You know, fear of a child's cancer relapse coupled with dead grandma coupled with pending surgery for child who may or may not have cancer again. The idea that all of this shit is landing in their lap because they keep focusing on it is... well, moronic, right?

I don't understand how the Universe works. I truly don't. But I have observed this: some people get way more poop than the rest of us, and some people get way more "blessings" than the rest of us and it doesn't ever equal up in some kind of cosmic fairness.  My faith is that Jesus' presence is equally available to all but I know more than one person who would trade the set of footprints in the sand for some fucking relief.

Not understanding these things though, I still know that it is the height of jerky to suggest to people in the midst that Just Thinking Good Things will somehow divert the shitstorm. That the cancer diagnosis could have been avoided if only they had been more... positive.  That Grandma would have lived (or that her dying would have been less sad?) if only they had focused on life's rich blessings.  Oh my, this makes me angry just typing it.

My only Hope is this: Jesus is watching, living next to us in the middle of the shitstorm and all I can do is remind my heart to rest in that Hope. And remind Jesus to remind my friends in a way that they'll notice that they're not alone.  At least not all the way alone.

3 comments:

Nadia said...

Did you just watch the movie or have someone 'share' this with you? My mom gave me that book a couple of Christmases ago. Just another blinding reminder of how little she knows me.

ACJ said...

No, someone posted this drivel on FB in response to a friend's status update. It was shocking in its insensitivity really and I couldn't post my whole treatise there, so had to keep it brief and then blog-vent.

If you didn't get those reminders, you might forget and start to hope that your mother could meet all your needs. Then what would you need Jesus for?

The Crawford's said...

oh this the sort of thing that makes me angriest and I want to vent too. Why would anyone think that blaming would be anything but guilt making and discouraging? I'm glad you were able to give hope and truth in response to FB moron.