Monday, November 29, 2010

Not So Special

You may remember that time I discovered I was A Writer! oh, what a great day that was.  I so enjoyed beind singled out for my unique wonderfulness, a singular talent in a world of dimmer lights.  It was nice while it lasted.

Today, two friends wrote.  Frankly, had I been asked two weeks ago to make a list of my friends in order of their Writerliness, I would not have put either of these two near the top.  Not because I knew them to be bad writers - just because I don't think I had given any thought to their writerliness one way or another.

But today each of these people wrote, and I got the Double Rainbow! Oh My God! A Double Rainbow! writer's moment.*

It was too much goodness in one hour.  The first blog was just delightful in its thoughtful delight in goodness and family. And not incidentally, written by a man-friend. That a male peer has decided to make known his heart in a more public way that Glorifies God (he has not promised to do this, and yet does it every time he types I think) I find terribly moving and hope-making.

And then I open an email from my retarded friend Karen. You know, the slow one who does too much (see below for a reminder)? She has written a story for my sweet girl, based entirely on one random facebook post.  It is long and wondrous (again!) and the kind of story a girl (and her mother) will love forever and it reminds of us that indeed all things DO work for good and if it all doesn't work out in the end, it's not the end yet. It made me weep to know that my daughter gets to be loved not only by her flawed parents, but by her parents' retarded friends who still do too much, but are perhaps understandably addicted to leaving a wake of goodness and grace behind them.

I don't fully understand why I enjoy such an Abundance.  But I remain, as ever, full of Gratitude.  This feels like a pretty ideal ending to Advent Advent, or beginning of Plain Old Advent.

Praise be.

*I will share a link to the blog when/if granted permission by the writer, and will forward the story to those interested, again, when/if granted permission by the writer.

4 comments:

TWDC said...

I feel like I have arrived. I was referenced in another's blog!!!!!
Now I can't wait to read this story. I hope she lets you post a link.

TWDC said...

PS: Thanks...You can take some of the credit for me blogging at all.

Karen Haugland said...

You probaly really don't know how much I love that little girl. I didn't just pray for her, but I got down on my knees and flat out begged God daily for a year for her to come. And that she did and that she is so lovely is a sign to me that all this praying stuff might just work after all. Then of course there's that whole my kid surviving stage 4 cancer when no one thought he would. Anyway, little Miss Talia is pretty special to me.

Nate . . . well I think Nate is much like my Josh. You hope and pray and try so hard for #1 that you're not even sure when and where #2 came from. So I love Nate too, cause I love my Josh.

Now, if I were a better person, if I had really channelled my inner "Martha". I would have delivered the book for Christmas, bound and hand illustrated. However, this pesky friend of mine has suggested that that sort of thinking is retarded and I should SLOW down.

So the only copy is on our less than reliable laptop. I hope you saved it.

Now you MUST post a link to the Man who can express openly his love for God, Child and Family. I'll try not to use it against Ross.

On a cheekier note: I remember the day I knew you were a writer. Is it the same day? Grade 10 - -when you wrote about the science of Flirting? The Biology, Physics and Chemistry of Flirting. Some of those Boys still use that essay as their "Happy Place" I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

This will be a terrific web page, might you be interested in doing an interview regarding just how you created it? If so e-mail me!.