Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Silver and Gold Have I None

But such as I have give I thee.

I'm still reading along with the readings, now here. Not all of them, and not every day, but I like having them there and not just pointing blindly at a verse in the middle of the page.

Today I had a not-expected conversation with a not-quite-friend.  There are about a billion reasons why I wouldn't have her on my list of people to compare woes with - our acquaintance is most certainly of the Keep It Awesome variety.  And yet there we were in Starbucks, laughing and crying about how hard it is to feel the Not Enoughness of this life. How even our $4 Starbucks drinks felt too expensive today (I used a coupon, she asked them to blend the juice with ice to make it last longer). How tiring it is to live this life half-way well.

God is a funny dude, always talking I think if I can make enough space to hear.

When we get Jesus, we get given maybe, eyes to see what another needs that we have to give. Silver and gold are rarely offered, but Not Aloneness is, all the time. Being reminded that we are not alone in this life is surely one of the better gifts out there. And today I was given and maybe even gave that gift. Such as I have.

Acts 3:1-10

Peter Heals a Lame Beggar

One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.
Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. When all the people saw him walking and praising God, 10 they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

2 comments:

Karen Haugland said...

I love this. You always give what you can. I try to do this as well. And while I cannot give silver and gold I always give. Because its a reminder that god does give us just a little more than we need. And that is to give. And we shall be given when we are in need (if we are smart enough to accept it). Love that even the little drummer boy gave his music to Jesus because its all he had to give.

Karen Haugland said...

I love this. You always give what you can. I try to do this as well. And while I cannot give silver and gold I always give. Because its a reminder that god does give us just a little more than we need. And that is to give. And we shall be given when we are in need (if we are smart enough to accept it). Love that even the little drummer boy gave his music to Jesus because its all he had to give.