Wednesday, April 10, 2013

iWitness

I wonder if the Lord knew about the internet coming all those years ago?

I posted a wondering about Jesus on facebook this week. I wondered about whether Jesus had actually prayed for something in John 17 (the unity of all believers) and if God had actually said, "Nope."

I don't see lots of unity when I listen to some of the all believers that I know. Check out the comments section of any Christian magazine or blog, to say nothing of the minutes of an elders meeting, and tell me if you're seeing a lot of unity.  How many times have I written here (or here) this year, about people pretty eager to be Right, even if it means treating other people like shit. And by 'people' of course, I still mean me.

This failure to unite might tempt an over-thinking, Lent-recovering, Jesus-loving person to wonder if maybe God's not-uniting-of-all was actually God's way of saying, "No, you're not the One" to the crazy guy washing everybody's feet and asking lame people if they actually want to be well.

Happily, I'm a big fan of my own self and my own wonderings and not-surenesses, and so there was no fear about confessing said temptation to the many. Even though, of the many who have befriended me on facebook over the years, only a portion are Jesus-loving, Life-sharing, Light-living folk.  The rest are work colleagues and high school rememberances and atheist neighbours. It's possible the only time they trip across Jesus is when I'm suggesting that God didn't listen to him.

God help them.

And God help me too I guess. Because I am witness only to my not-certainty that we get to call faith. I am witness to a willingness to believe that God is bigger than my question marks. I am witness to a deep love for a Creator of I know-not-what altogether.

God help us all.




No comments: