Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lent 43

I wonder if Paul and Jesus are friends up in Heaven. Or do they just kind of nod when they pass in the halls of the mansion with many rooms? 

"Jesus."

"Paul."

Probably they don't mutter mean things under their breath about each because they're in heaven. And Jesus is you know, Jesus.  But still... friends?

The contrast between today's gospel and epistle readings is unusually stark. Most days, I've noticed a theme or at least similar tone between all four readings. Not so much today.

Philippians 4: 1 -13 is almost giddy, Paul in a bit of a manic phase. But most of my favourite stuff too: Rejoice! Don't be anxious! Pray instead. And then spend your brain on things that are good and right and true and noble and praise-worthy - anything at all worth saying Thank You! for - think on these things!

But today for Jesus is just a sad, sad, day. The last day before the first day of the last, last days. So what do you expect me to do - call God and say "I can't do it"? No! This is exactly why I came here in the first place! I'm going to die. And then he left and hid away from them all. Because good grief, who could stand to keep explaining over and over to the many who just didn't want to understand what could barely be understood by the very One who was going to have to endure it?

The contrast between these two passages is difficult for this heart tonight. I can't take Jesus' suffering lightly, and I think were I him on the eve of the eve of crucifiction, had someone said to me, Don't be anxious! Pray, and think about nice things! I might have done them grievous harm. I appreciate that Paul isn't actually saying these things to Jesus or suggesting anyone should have. And yet, there they are, these two passages, right next to each other. Asking us to remember I guess that there is deep suffering in this life, suffering with which Jesus is well-acquainted. And then there  is peace. A peace that passes all understanding. Both those things are True for we, the people of faith. Somehow, one requires the other to in fact, be True.

John 12:27-36

New International Version (NIV)
27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!”
Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.
30 Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up[a] from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” 33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.
34 The crowd spoke up, “We have heard from the Law that the Messiah will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this ‘Son of Man’?”
35 Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going. 36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.

Philippians 4:1-9


Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!
I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.




No comments: