Friday, March 15, 2013

Lent 31

We were sailing last summer, past Bowen Bay. It was rough-ish, bigger than normal swells with maybe a light chop thanks to some wind. My girl was a bit down on sailing in general and was harder to convince to get out on the water than we liked, so un-ideal conditions felt extra grievous.

I could see the wind line ahead and knew it would ease up a bit. We had also just read the story of Jesus calming the storm. You see where this is going, right?

Probably faking a miracle is bad form in Christian circles but who can resist these temptations? I mean, would God have set this up if it wasn't to be?? So I did what any half-way clever, life-manipulating mom would do (remember Mary and the wine?? she'd have loved this!) - I reminded the kids of the story and asked if we should try yelling "Be Calm!" at the sea. Scott looked at me. Shook his head. But didn't stop me.

"Be Calm!" we yelled at the sea.  And crossed the wind line into calmer waters.

This is on the list of reasons I may end up in hell if it turns out there is one.

The thing about it is, in my heart, I felt like the calm had been provided for me. I needed my girl to love being on the water with us. I needed the ocean to co-operate and help us ease her back into it. And I always need my kids to know that God is paying attention. The details may have been a bit wonky, and maybe I played with the truth a bit, but it was Truest that my heart felt loved by the calm ahead of us and I wanted my kids to feel that love too.

That's why I extra loved this part of today's Psalm - it reminded me of the time God showed up, and so I'll praise God all over again for that, and for all the other becalmed storms I have weathered.

Psalm 107:23-31

New International Version (NIV)
23 Some went out on the sea in ships;
    they were merchants on the mighty waters.
24 They saw the works of the Lord,
    his wonderful deeds in the deep.
25 For he spoke and stirred up a tempest
    that lifted high the waves.
26 They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths;
    in their peril their courage melted away.
27 They reeled and staggered like drunkards;
    they were at their wits’ end.
28 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he brought them out of their distress.
29 He stilled the storm to a whisper;
    the waves of the sea[a] were hushed.
30 They were glad when it grew calm,
    and he guided them to their desired haven.
31 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
    and his wonderful deeds for mankind.

No comments: