Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lent 5

I am finding it difficult to do this this morning. I'm a bit distracted by all the great solutions I have for other people's problems. I keep congratulating myself on being smart enough not to have those problems in the first place and knowing how those people can fix their problems in the second.

My brain is kind of a gross place to be this morning.

Of the five readings we're offered each day, I have been choosing the one that grabs my heart first, the one that makes me stop for a moment and think a bit differently about things. Today, none jumped out at me. The Psalms were boring old praise-God-God's-so-great classics that we've all heard before. Deuteronomy... really? I guess it's good to be remembering the stories of God's faithfulness to the people of Israel but there's not an immediate relatable moment there for me most days. And Mark? Another cryptic message in red letters that is supposed to explain it all but mostly leaves me guessing. Boo.

So that leaves Corinthians. Paul, again. And we all know what I think of Paul. I should probably read up on why his letters were included in this Canon because truly, they so often just make me feel like I've joined a really shitty cult. The passage included today is no exception. All I thought while I read it was, I bet the Creationists love this one! 

But a friend has pointed out in her book (if you are married, you should be reading this book), the question or idea that most upsets you is often the place you should spend some time. And by 'you', I probably should mean me.

So I spent some time with dumb Paul and dumb Corinthians and of course had to face a truth: the foolishness of God is wiser than my wisdom. The dumbest stuff God has come up with is still better than my best stuff. I am forced to wonder if I believe this. And in truth, I'm not sure.

I like my smartness. I like all my solutions to other people's problems. Sometimes I like to dress them up as God's solutions so that people will think I'm humble and all that. But I know my heart, and I know my heart likes to enjoy how clever I am.

I can't say for sure, but I think this is more of that pesky sin I'm meant to let die.

I'll be thinking on this: "It is because of [God] that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: 'Let they who boast boast in the Lord.'" I guess I'll be asking God to do a miracle and turn my heart into a heart that believes this all the way through. Cause a miracle feels necessary.

1 Corinthians 1: 18 - 31

Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[c]
20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”[d]

2 comments:

Sarah said...

My brilliant, excellent, solving the problems of others, wisdom-filled brain is gross in just those same ways. No wonder I like you!

We're studying Proverbs in my Bible study right now, and man, is it convicting in the humility department. Other departments, too, of course. Thanks for the giggle and the empathy. xo!

Denise said...

I have read it all in one sitting because I didn't want to stop. You're up there with my favorite writers, somewhere in the top section.... Keep going, as you are able..... Xbox