Friday, February 22, 2013

Lent 10

Do you know there are 30 days left in Lent? I am *exhausted* already... how to find the stamina for more of this? Apparently, there are people who read the Bible every. day. Listen and hear and think on this stuff 365. Unbelievable.

I did have a bit of a chuckle when I hit Hebrews this morning. A relieved, let the breath out kind of chuckle. I came to the readings today with a bit of dread - much of this has been so hard, has required a great deal of reflection and begging of God to fix what is broken.  I am still full of fearful gratitude, but it's of the more tired, busted up variety at this point.

It was sweet relief then to read this morning, "Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Heb. 4: 16)

I can't remember hearing a lot from the church folk about how awesome it is to have confidence. Most probably because confidence and pride live a little too closely to each other and you know how the Jesus-y types hate their pride. Almost prideful about how much they hate it actually.

But I digress. I guess I like the idea that we get to walk up to the throne, whatever that is, and act like we belong. We get to believe that God is going to be glad to see us, and happy to hand over some grace and mercy as needed. The image that I have in my head is of my son running into the house from playing with friends and breathlessly asking for snacks. No part of him worries if he's allowed in the house, if he's allowed to ask for sustenance, if I'll hand him sand instead and tell him to toughen up.  He has lots of confidence that he can come right in and ask me to give what he knows I have.

As so today it's kind of nice to walk into what this day will require, full of gladness that when I find myself in need of mercy or desperate to find grace for our time of need, I'll be able to just run inside and ask.

Hebrews 4:12-16

New International Version (NIV)
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Jesus the Great High Priest

14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,[a] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

No comments: