Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fat Tuesday

I am so full.  Full of ideas and plans and wonderings and enthusiasm and despair and worry.  Great things lie ahead, and terrible sadness is on its way and I am gorging on all of it.  I am getting emotionally fat.

Has anyone coined that term? Because if they haven't, I'm totally TMing it.  Someone let me know, okay?

It may be time to go on an emotional diet. Not sure, but the metaphor demands the question.  And here comes Lent with an opportunity to think on this thing and perhaps deny myself a tiny bit and see what comes.

I am really not too sure what all this means. I kind of just puked it up on the screen having sat down to type. Maybe purging? Oh my word! Someone make me stop!  But I can't! This metaphor won't let go!

What I meant to type when I got here was that this Lent, I arrive full of me, and I am more than ready to give some of me up to make space for more of Jesus.  These rolls of Sadness and Joy and Despair and Elation and Worry and Anger and Happy - they point to a bit of over-self-indulgence and while a bit of each is useful and needed in moderation, they become too heavy to carry at some point and I stop being of any use at all.

So yes, I'm emotionally fat, and yes, I'm looking forward to the discipline of Lent that will be a time and place to feed the spiritual instead.

You?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I prefer to think of myself as Emotionally Big-Boned.
:)