Sunday, November 11, 2012

We Forgot

I'm watching a show about Hiroshima. It's horrifying what we've done to each other, we humans.  But we have photographs and film and paintings and words to remind us. We keep track and we organize it all into bits and pieces to show each other and remind ourselves of the deep, deep evil we have made.

And yet, still humanity repeats and remakes and reshapes our evil into new, newly awful versions of itself.  We can meet in the streets for two minutes of silence once a year but that is not enough to keep us from giving life to the violence of our hatred and un-love. It is hope-less making.

It is equally hopeless-making that year after year that evil is redeemed and still we despair.  Good lives, long after the evil dies, time after time, and still we believe that evil is the truth and goodness the lie.

This week I begged the heavens that what was not could become What Is.  And now What Is is what I thought could not be.  Not in any way that I thought it should be, but most certainly in a way that I thought was not to be. And so I write it down, that our God is good and is the creator of all that is, and that all that is is Good and As It Should Be so that I will have a place to look when I forget.

Because it turns out we forget.

I forgot.


No comments: