Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stealing

I think if someone sleep-blogs and then tells you about their sleep-blog but doesn't actually awake-blog it themselves, it is okay to cut and paste their sleep-blog into your awake blog. Especially if you give that sleep-blogger credit.  Thanks Sarah.

So here's what Sarah sleep-blogged. Or at least what she told me she sleep-blogged:
I was sleep-blogging last night about how terrible it would be to have Jesus as a dinner guest. Sure, He'd be nice about the meal, and I don't think He'd mind the cat hairs. Or the pee Buddy pees all over the toilet seat. But what on earth would we talk about????

Here's what my first answer was:
I think I'm going to have to think more about Jesus as a dinner guest. I guess I always assumed we'd mostly talk about me, with a few shout-outs to the poor to keep him thinking I'm a decent person...

I'm sticking with my answer for the time being, but maybe I want to add a few things. I mean first of all, at my house, Jesus wouldn't be distracted by cat hair, so I have that.  And then there is the pee on the seat, but I think I just won't offer a lot of beverages and maybe it won't be an issue.

When it comes to dinner chat, I'm pretty agile, and I could probably get us through the initial meet and greet alright, but after that, what happens? Is Jesus a question-asker? Or just a long pause kind of guy? How long would it take us to get to what he thinks of me?

Because remember the whole Affluence dilemma, right? That Matthew guy says near the end of his gospel that Jesus meets people at heaven's door and basically says to people who thought they were totally in, I don't know you.  And then all the people who thought they weren't down with Jesus but oddly were out visiting people in prison, feeding hungry people and giving clothes to the naked - to them he says, You! Finally you! so glad to see you! That was me you were helping! Can you believe it?

So probably sometime around dessert (do you offer after-dinner drinks to The Lord?) I'd try to muster up the courage to ask, Do You know me?

But there might be better topics. Friends, over to you. What on earth would you talk about if Jesus showed up for dinner?

(Sarah, hope you'll forgive me. I promise to share a sleep-blog with you back.)

5 comments:

Karen Haugland said...

I'm going to jump in with a comment (how shocking, right) and it may be a little like the book club I "used" to belong to where every looks at me and realizes it was all, obviously, way over my head, but here goes:

I would be doing a lot of question asking. I mean, it's Jesus. I would want answers: how can I be a better parent, how can I teach my kids to better serve, even though I've never taken them to church, tell me how to be a better wife, how to have more patience tell me how to serve better. Basically I'd ask all the things I ask in prayer all the time, but demand a clear, verbal answer.

I would HAVE to clean the bathroom, because I'm sure he'd get so exhausted he'd excuse himself just for a break.

He'd possibly say yes to the after dinner drink (for reason noted above), but probably make up some lame excuse for why he can't stay later.

At the gates of heaven he'd know me, sort of like how Josh the swim instructor knows me "Ack, you!?! I know you!". And we both already know I have special place in hell with my name on it. So I'll do my best on earth while I'm here.

I'd love to have Jesus for dinner. You wouldn't even have to make it a fancy meal b/c you wouldn't want to boast excess or waste. hmm, could be good.

Karen Haugland said...

By the way, my son tells me about meeting Jesus. Yes he does. He says Jesus, Nanam Uncle Alex and Leah (the dog) all told him to go back, he wasn't dead yet.

And since I was there that night, I'm hopeful that Jesus will remember me.

Also, the guy was born in a barn: do you think a few cat / dog hairs are going to put him off?

ACJ said...

@Karen, can you please invite me over. Like, fake that you forgot something in the oven and then call me and I'll race over and then eavesdrop on all His good answers to your good questions. Also, for sure you get a pass for the J-saw-Jesus moment. If you don't, I'm quitting.

Sarah said...

LOVE this! Just don't have time to respond right now . . . but your readers, Alison, are totally right: yes, I think Jesus would absolutely want an after dinner drink. Maybe a dessert wine. About the cat hair, YES, he was totally born in a barn . . . it's so typical of me to think that MY cat hair and MY son's little boy pee would irk him. See? And that's why I wouldn't want too have him as a dinner guest. He'd realize things about me . . . sure, probably things he already knows, but a convo with me over cioppino and spinach salad would just confirm all His suspicions. And, I have a sneaking suspicion that as a result of this dinner party, I would have a massive To Do list that's totally different from my current To Do list. Which is, of course, why I should absolutely have Him over for dinner. Love it, A! :)

Karen Haugland said...

I can't seem to leave this alone.
I had an epiphany last night. Okay, well maybe just a half memory from something I once read / was told about JC.

Isn't he with us ALWAYS?

Maybe the answer to all of my questions is to try live every moment knowing/remembering that he is right there in the room beside me all the time. Imagine that he sits at the empty chair at the table for every meal.