Saturday, January 22, 2011

Oh My Soul

[Caveat: see previous post to be reminded that I know this is probably Sin and Wrong and should be making me crazy.]

So today I was floating in the pool. My kids were splashing and thrilling with their waterwings on.  My husband was flooding their little pool with water from the big pool.  My friend was cuddling with her sweet new babe while her husband cheered her newly floating toddler next to me. I said to our host, "I can't think of one single thing more to want right this second."

And then I rested my head back in the water, and floated away from them all; all I could hear was the hum of water past my ears.  And all I could think was

REJOICE! OH MY SOUL! REJOICE!  ALL that is in me!! Praise his HOLY NAME!

God. I get so religious sometimes.

But seriously, I just was so full of gratitude and awe that this space had been provided for us all.  That we were all warm and happy and feeling loved and loving and even successful.  My kids were wallowing in the wonder of being swimmers and all four of us I think were feeling like Good Parents who enjoy the small people we've been given.

It was such a contrast to the resentful, sullen, burdened-ness of regular life. 

And the contrast, it makes me want to Praise a God.  I want to know how to make my soul do whatever it is that lets the Creator know that I've noticed the moment and that I am awestruck by it. That I know that All Of This is worthy of my praise. 

Day to day, I believe that no matter the circumstance, I will praise him still. I do. And my best parts always want to.  But on this day, it was all my parts. Or maybe today just allowed all my parts to be at their best. I don't know. I just know I willed my liver and my pituitary gland to join in...

No comments: