Tuesday, March 25, 2008

When Moisturizer Goes Wrong

So I'm having some major safety issues. As in, I have no idea what is safe. This was not so much of a problem when she was wee and mostly immobile but with her new-found exploring mobility, we are finding ourselves in a heap of trouble.

This morning, our first call to Poison Control. I thought the tube of moisturizer was a safe play thing. In fact, it keeps her hands busy during most diaper changes. So she's playing away with it while I put something away in the kitchen and when I turn around next, the top is off and she's got a big smear of moisturizer across her lip. She seems happy enough and she's not making "I've got icky lotion in my mouth" faces, but who knows right? So I grab the bottle and read the back to see if I should be worried and right there on the back in bold no less, "Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately."

Okay, so I'm a bit concerned, but mostly not really because it's a product made to be spread all over a baby's body and surely the makers realize that it's going to make it to a baby's mouth eventually, so probably it's not straight up poison. But just to be safe I'll call. Sure enough, the lady on the other end of the phone has a nice giggle and we agree together that the oats are just a bit more breakfast this morning and no harm, no foul.

Mostly, I think about how I'll tell this story on my blog.

But then slowly, I start thinking, "My God. You're going to kill her."

I would say on a scale of 1 - 10, I'm about an 8 when it comes to fear about my own personal safety. I don't like skiing or bicycle riding or roller blading because I can't stop and I'm afraid of getting hurt stopping against a very unyielding object. I, of course, am terrified of fire but mostly of getting burned. I can not jump off diving boards higher than about 18 inches off the surface of the water.

However, with my daughter, I am fearless. Sure she can climb up a lawn chair. No problem, playing with my hair dryer cord. Want to try climbing up into the playhouse out back - give 'er. Scott doesn't want her playing in the dishwasher because he sees it is unsafe - knives, dishwasher soap, to say nothing of gross dried up food items. But me, I think "fun exploring".

I think maybe in my desperation to not have a daughter paralyzed by fear as I believe myself to be, I may be exposing her to inappropriate risk. This becomes its own terrification for me.

Parenting is a funny gig if you're even halfway paying attention, in that it seems to be a constant balancing of my issues against her issues-to-be. Right now the questions are about safety, but soon they'll be about respectfulness of others or self-esteem or community action and each time it will require seeing who I am and who I wish I was and somehow balancing that against who she is and not imposing who I wish she was. Because surely that's the most dangerous thing: trying to raise her to be who I wish I was.

3 comments:

coolmama said...

Just so you know Crayola crayons that are made in Canada are also non-toxic. Have fun

ACJ said...

Should I be concerned that I have to read my wifes blog to find out this information. Huh? Really she hasn't even mentioned it! And I have to go to work in the morning and leave Talia with her again.

Kate said...

Oh dear friend, we are so similar so often. Me yesterday regarding electrical outlets, “she can’t really hurt herself can she?” I mean, really the chances of her fingers getting far enough into a hole to do damage? Jan however wakes me from a morning lie in screaming “no halĂ­a” if she aligns her head and body in a way that could indicate she might crawl towards an area that has a potential hazard.

I shudder to think when she starts walking.