Friday, December 31, 2010

It Goes

I am sneaking in a quick year-end post instead of folding laundry because I suspect I will not have opportunity to do so again today, and I do want at least a note of conclusion to this sweet year.  In no particular order, things I am thinking about at the close of 2010 and the verge of 2011:

1) I got to have so many great adventures this year.  My roadtrip with Katie was a sweet wonderful and the best kind of sisterly connecting.  That space in time feels a bit sacred and I deeply thankful that I got to be with her and spend that week of transition with her.  Our Caldwell Family trip to Tofino that followed - so good.  Several boat trips, including our ten-day excursion - we can do it! We're doing it! We're sailors!  My journey east to visit with Shannon & Shiaheem and then up to Ontario for a retreat with Heidi - again, the kind of gift that makes me think God's favourite thing is making me feel loved. 

2) My kids are getting awesomer all the time.  We are turning into a family I really like and I'm so thankful for that.

3) Scott is a really good man. I'm lucky to be married to him.  We survived the baby years and that feels like a miracle, but mostly it feels like fresh air might be able to be breathed into our little marriage now.  There's some space that wasn't there before.  Praise be.

4) It is ridiculous how many friends I have.  Good friends, the kind of women (some men, but really, they're just the guys who wisely married my clever women friends) who make me a better person just by virtue of knowing them.  To be in this life feeling known is a most wondrous gift. To be allowed to know another, also so. I know, deep in my heart, that this wealth of mine isn't every person's and so I am all the more grateful. 

5) Writing.  I can't tell you how much writing has fed me this year.  This silly little blog full of silly little thoughts dressed up as my biggest ideas... it has fed my soul.  I am very appreciative for those who take the time to read and affirm and participate and bless and respond.  I look forward to deepening this discipline in the year to come.

6) Health.  It sounds so trite to my own self, but as people we love wrestle with bodies that do not what the soul demands, I realize that emerging from the year sound in mind and in body is its own miracle. May we use our strength for what is required as long as it is ours.

7) We have a home.  A house that is big enough with great friends all around in a safe neighbourhood with space to play and live and grow.  We are thankful to Andrew who made our life here possible by sharing this house with us.  So thankful. 

There is so much more, but my sweet girl has awoken all refreshed and ready to fold laundry. Or at least have her mother's divided attention a tiny bit less divided.

My love to each of you.  Especially you.

3 comments:

gina said...

I have loved discovering your blog this past month (or so). It's on my daily blog roll and your thoughts and sharing always encourage, challenge, or entertain me. Thanks for being so real...and being willing to be "known" (even from a distance).

Sarah said...

I have loved reading your December posts this morning. And, I am thrilled that I was able to finally figure out how to subscribe. You are a beautiful, rich writer, and I am thrilled that you are pursuing a writing group. A good group is LIFESAVING, though I have found that it takes a while to find the right combination of personalities and commitment levels. So happy for you. You really, really need to keep writing.

I am sorry that I have not been checking in with your blogs. Oct-yesterday has been a bit insane with me overprogramming myself to the point that my depression crept back in. Terrible. But, a good lesson that I need to take good care of myself. The happy news, however (and what contributed to the craziness of the fall) is that I got an agent who wants to represent my book. More on that later, but that was very emotional and stressful. Anyway, I am good and happy and ready for 2011.

Keep me posted on your progress with the group AND with your writing. I cannot WAIT to start receiving updates on your new posts.

Here's to a happy 2011, filled with many blessings and much peace.
A hug,
Sarah

Nadia said...

I can only echo comments already made...You have a wit and a wisdom that often makes me both laugh and think. Blessings to you and yours in 2011. Looking forward to our coffee and seed exchange in the coming months.