Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Advent 10

I guess it was different before Jesus showed up. David hadn't seen the fishes and loaves being multiplied. He didn't hear about how the Kingdom of God was for anyone. He didn't know that God's mercy would go nuts like that.

I guess that's why the Psalms are full of David asking God to not let him be like "all those other people who are super bad".  That's not really a quote, by the way. But it's pretty much what he says, over and over and over again.

God, all those other people who aren't like me, who don't think like me, who want to hurt me and who just make me mad and afraid?? Do those people in God, and let me be okay and happy and rich and strong please.

I guess God got tired of it. Who knows why really. We just know that the whole chosen/not chosen thing kind of falls apart eventually and that something about Jesus showing up opens the whole of the Kingdom to the whole of humanity.

Even the people who aren't like me.

Psalm 26

Of David.

Vindicate me, Lord,
    for I have led a blameless life;
I have trusted in the Lord
    and have not faltered.
Test me, Lord, and try me,
    examine my heart and my mind;
for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love
    and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.
I do not sit with the deceitful,
    nor do I associate with hypocrites.
I abhor the assembly of evildoers
    and refuse to sit with the wicked.
I wash my hands in innocence,
    and go about your altar, Lord,
proclaiming aloud your praise
    and telling of all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house where you live,
    the place where your glory dwells.
Do not take away my soul along with sinners,
    my life with those who are bloodthirsty,
10 in whose hands are wicked schemes,
    whose right hands are full of bribes.
11 I lead a blameless life;
    deliver me and be merciful to me.
12 My feet stand on level ground;
    in the great congregation I will praise the Lord.

No comments: