Monday, February 27, 2012

Lent: Day 6

Did I mention that Cap is only forwarding 4 reading a week? Kind of a Lent Lite? Just in case you thought I was lazy.

Today's reading:

Genesis 9:8-17
 8 Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: 9 “I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you 10 and with every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature on earth. 11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.”
 12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
 17 So God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth.” 

When I went to summer camp, we learned a song sung to the tune of the theme song from "The Friendly Giant" with the words, When you see a rainbow, you know that God is love

I like that in the Bible, there is one concrete proof of Love mentioned and that it's one that is still useful today, in that tangible, "Yep I can see that" kind of way.  Right this second, I can't think of one other item we can use directly today as they did back when all this stuff was written. 

God is Love. God promised not to destroy all life. No matter what we did, from that day on, Destruction Of All By Flood was off the list.  At least there's that. 

To be honest, I feel a bit destroyed to night. But not all the way destroyed. This flood won't be my end. And God is Love.  That's the promise and I can think of a half-dozen days in the last 6 months that a rainbow has shown up and reminded me that the promise stands. I could use a rainbow tonight, or maybe just some clarity about how God being love could possibly make a difference - it's hard to see somedays, you know?

Oh boy. Nothing good here tonight.  Stupid Lent.

No comments: