Thursday, June 09, 2011

Dear Kate M., I'm Sorry

I blame the Canucks.

Probably every bad mood in VanCity can be explained by the last two hockey games "played" by the Vancouver Canucks in the Stanley Cup Finals.  They actually had a psychologist on the news tonight talking about how the city is responding to the highs and lows of the playoffs.  Happily I was very comforted by the clip of Trevor Linden telling us all to calm down.

It's too bad I didn't see the clip earlier in the day:  I might have been less angry about Kate Middleton's wedding. And maybe whole life. 

I accidentally read the Us Magazine special wedding edition while getting a pedicure. I was feeling pretty good about my special treat until I saw Princess Kate's diamond drop earrings with her family's new emblem (the acorn) hanging in the middle.  She got earrings AND a new family emblem? Fuck me.  I mean what good is a pedicure if you don't even have a frikkin family coat of arms, never mind diamond earrings*?!

Well, you can imagine how the rest of the day went.  It didn't take long to inventory all my deficits compared to the incomparable Duchess of Cambridge - my husband, while a hero, is not a Search and Rescue Helicopter Pilot; we do not live in a quaint Welsh town with an ice cream truck run by the mayor**; I don't have embossed stationary; and I definitely do not have a personal stylist. 

The only obvious answer was to hate her.  Which I did for several hours until Trevor Linden intervened.

Now I just feel silly.  I mean, my husband is after all, a hero.  He's employed and he loves his children which heroic most days.  I live in a neighbourhood with good friends and good people on every side. I have a really nice fountain pen my dad gave me, and the means to buy embossed stationary any day I want.  And while I don't have a personal stylist... well, actually, that one is just going to have to remain a thorn in my side.

The thing is, some days, not even gratitude makes being me feel any better.  Some days I just want to be anyone else.  Well, mostly just someone who has a coat of arms and a royal allowance.  For now I'll just have to settle for being someone who's sorry she sent so much bad energy to Anglesey.

*In the spirit of full disclosure, I was promised diamond earrings if I completed a fitness program with some friends.  I quit, and now don't have earrings. So I guess that one's my fault.

** I wonder if any parents in Anglesey tell their children that when the ice cream truck plays music, it means it's out of ice cream.  Because that remains one of my favourite parenting moments of all time.

1 comment:

Karen Haugland said...

When you married Scott you got whole bunch of "coat of arm"s and famility crests . . .according to my friend Mr. Google.

http://www.eltiste-kaiser.com/Johnson/JohnsonCoatofArms.htm

this is my favorite, because of the music and very "Swedish" colours and lord knows we need all the Swedish Help we can get right now . . .
You also have the Canadian equivalent of a "Royal Allowance", you get $100/month per child.

I'd say, your life rocks!

Plus you are not hounded by paparazzi that will, one day, end your marriage.

Our Boys in Blue, White and Green hound you and may, one day soon, end your marriage . . .

With optomism,

K