Monday, June 14, 2010

OK Pizza

My first thought was that they probably should have invested a bit more heavily in branding and marketing: OK Pizza doesn't instill a sense of "must try it" that a pizza joint probably needs in this competitive Tofino market. As I mull further though, maybe they're brilliant. Expectation Management is surely the key to success in any endeavour, and I bet a lot of people leave OK Pizza thinking, "Well, that wasn't so bad at all. More than OK..."

After being assailed by my alternate life fears these last few weeks, I am toeing back towards contentment in this current life of mine. Of course, being housed next to the beach, listening to the ocean and wind while my children nap helps... I walked back up from the beach carrying a sleeping Nate this morning and turned the corner to see our new Pilot sitting in the parking lot, and I thought, "Oh yeah, that's us." Seems a bit silly, but coming to peace with the Pilot is a big deal - I was sad to lose the Jetta and all that I thought it told the world about who we were. I am pretty sure that the AltLife Crisis was probably largely induced by this change. Sad but true.

Anyway, that sense of There I Am then transmogrified into Scott Is Missing And I Am Better When He's Not. Again, perhaps a surprisingly obvious truth, but one that had slipped to the background these last weeks. The grind of daily life sometimes blurs the image and I see less clearly. A bit of distance and I am reminded fairly quickly that he is my truly Other Half and in his absence I am a bit Less: Less Me, Less Quiet, Less Sure, Less At Rest.

And in the remembering of that, I come back to the Quiet, Sure, Rest that my Me is OK. Not THE WORLD'S BEST!!! or Tofino's Finest! or #1A Top Favourite! or whatever it was that AltLife was offering... We're OK. I'm okay. It's all going to be okay.

Suddenly OK Pizza sounds pretty good.


*****

Writing has always been something I've done. School, university, work... writing has always been the easy part. However, since having kids, writing has been less possible. What free time was available already had so many demands on it and frankly, writing seemed useless and unhelpful.

But these last few months, I feel like a space has opened up for it again, and I am SO thankful. It has been so sweet for my soul to unravel the threads of thought that weave through my days. Amazing. I wonder if I'll find some daily, or at least more regular, space for this discipline. In case I do, I hope one or 2 of the one or 2 who read these ramblings will suggest some starting points. I might enjoy some "assignments"...

4 comments:

Nadia said...

Umm??? A Pilot? Sweet!

I, for one, have enjoyed the moments of writing you have shared. My request is at least a weekly glimpse into the stirrings of your soul. Your writing inspires me to be better at the rambles I post.

ACJ said...

Smirk. Your writing inspires me to write. Ah, circles... I'll keep on and you keep on, k?

Katie said...

I LOVE your writing! Keep on!

I just bought a print of a painting called "it's not what it's not about."

So that's the prompt I have:
it's not what it's not about

Katie P.

coolmama said...

only you could make start writing about pizza and make it interesting....doesn't matter what it's about it's that YOU wrote it....